Nowadays how far do kiddies travel to score Halloween candy?

What's going on around town ? Ya got problems ? Come here. Got solutions ? Let's hear em. Please keep topic about North Saint Paul Stuff.

Postby Tremors » 02 Nov 2008, 20:47

I had some big plans for this year.

Well, due to time and budget constants (that being the wife :wink:), I was only able to buy new red colored exterior lights. :? I had to make due with the same old haunting noises played over my stereo speakers outside, the old fogger, 3 strobes, 2 blacklights, the old fake skeleton hand and a framework I built for my old Grim Reaper costume which I placed on the front porch between fake and real Jack-O-Lanterns and the fake skull(wearing cool shades of course! 8)) placed on a table in front of the Reaper.

(Insert Don't Fear the Reaper here)

When someone approached, I would fog up the front porch; however, my last minute cooling rig that, if successful, would have kept the fog on the ground, failed. Again...last minute, no wonder it didn't work too well. Consequently, even though it looked cool bursting out from the jagged mouth of a plastic Jack-O-Lantern, all the fog quickly disbursed into the air (but it did add a haze over the immediate neighborhood). Nonetheless, for a few moments the fog remained, and when someone came up towards the door, no doubt looking up and thinking the Reaper was a real person, as soon as they put so much as 1 foot on the step, I hit the big strobe light and jumped out, dressed as a vampire, and handed out the candy from a skull shaped bowl that had a hidden motion activated skeleton hand that popped out from it.

As soon as the family came back from their own Trick or Treating, my son would join me in his mini-Grim Reaper outfit and together we would spook the kiddies! :lol:

No one else in my neighborhood does as much. Unfortunately, like last year and the year before, turnout was not as I would have hoped, and sadly, by 9 pm the streets were as quiet as any other night. :( Still, its fun and I get a big kick out of "haunting up" the house, even if my audience is so small. :)
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude!
Tremors

Postby Tremors » 31 Oct 2010, 00:00

After a one year hiatus I am back and ready to spook! In relation to the title of this thread: "how far do the kiddies travel", where I live has a 2 hour limit on trick-or-treating. Lame. Oh well, at least its after dark. It may present a geographical limit on where the kids can hunt for candy, but there are lots of kids around, so hopefully there will be lots of places to score the goodies.

How's spooks back in North St. Paul this year? What's your Halloween plans?

and...

Happy Halloween! :twisted:
Last edited by Tremors on 30 Apr 2011, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Tremors

Better late than never.....

Postby Bigtime » 09 Nov 2010, 19:52

I only had 13 kids...... and candy for 40! I finally had to sneak over to the neighbors and put it inside the screen door, so I quit eating it! Seems like most everyone is taking their kids to the malls for halloween treats? This holiday has come a long way from tipping over the out house........lol!
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. (M West)
Bigtime

Postby Tremors » 31 Oct 2011, 11:23

I'm baaak!

Oh yes! Time to haunt up the house again. Can't wait to scare the kiddies! :P Anyone else haunting their house this year? Any predictions as to how many kids will stop by?

These last few years, while fun, haven't really produced a ton of kids; though some years have been better than others. Perhaps that is why I originally started this thread by asking how far kids today will travel to stock up on Halloween candy...and by my definition of "stock up" I mean several months worth of sugary goodness. I tend to suspect that kids don't trick-or-treat nearly as far as in generations past.

Maybe because they are not as active or their parents will buy them anything they whine about at the drop of a hat or possibly because parents are far too afraid of "stranger danger" bred by frequent news stories brought to us by the 24 hour news cycle which didn't exist in years past. Maybe its a combination of these. Maybe I'm way off. All I do know that the the generation(s) which came after Generation X is as large as the Baby Boomer generation, yet I don't seem to see as many stopping by for grub.

So the question remains: How far to the kiddies travel for tick-or-treating on Halloween? :?

Ah, Halloween! "It's the most wonderful time...of the year!"
Tremors

Postby Tremors » 01 Nov 2011, 15:22

Tremors wrote:So the question remains: How far to the kiddies travel for tick-or-treating on Halloween? :?

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/homegarden/blogs/133002188.html

Kind of disappointing.

Even with a few crafty urchins who came back for a 2nd helping, there were not very many kids. Certainly there were fewer than last year. This is a military housing area, meaning that most of these homes have children. No single soldiers live here; you either have a spouse or kids or both in most cases. Its hard to make a guess as to why the kids were not around.

It wasn't just fewer kids out that I noticed though; its fewer houses handing out candy. My wife took the kids around our neighborhood, then came back after an hour and I took them to the housing area just below ours, and out of 40 houses, only 6 were giving out candy-that's just 15% folks! Half I can understand; some are bringing their own kids trick-or-treating (and have no one to stay behind), some are working or doing other things, some don't like Halloween (Dude, WTF?!) and don't care who does, some maybe can't afford even the cheepest bag of candy to give to strangers. Got it. Half is reasonable based on people collective experience of Halloweens past, but six? Six?! Pathetic.

There were a couple of lazy candy givers who just put a bowl outside (Yeah what a surprise that the 1st group of kids cleans you out right away!), but even these "Halloween erectile dysfunctions" were few and far between. BTW, I call them "Halloween erectile dysfunctions" because whatever joy they give others is going to be very short lived and simply putting a bowl outside is a limp claim of participation in this longstanding social exercise that they themselves reaped the benefits of as kids. I guess some people decided to forget how much fun they had and how much candy they scored when they were kids. But hey, its no longer about them right? :evil: Seriously, if you can't be there to hand out candy-I give you credit for trying in that case-or simply don't want to be bothered answering the door, just don't bother with the bowl. It's better not to do it than be half-assed in your attempt.

American society might still love "Halloween", but are decidedly falling out of love with trick-or-treating. :?
Tremors

It's still alive and well here..............

Postby Bigtime » 01 Nov 2011, 17:11

Last night for the first time ever...... I wimped out on Halloween! Reasons are that I was invited to "real' Halloween, and last year I had a total of 13 kids all night, and I was the only one giving out candy that I could see for a long way around me????? So last night, "in the spirit of", I prepared to go to my relatives in mid Oakdale to celebrate the holiday. Before I left I packed up 5 little baggies with treats, and went to the neighbors houses that have children, and gave them their trick or treats early. It was great! I got a couple of big hugs, and had to referee one fight between a 4 year old and his older brother, because the older brothers costume of a zombie was so "real" it was scaring his younger brother to tears. lol! Of course the old brother was loving it! lol! A zombie and a crying white rabbit!
Well anyhow to maybe make you feel better Tremors...... In mid Oakdale, Halloween is very much alive and well! In fact it was nutso and fun! I drove over after I went to Stillwater to drop of something, just after dark. I had to drive especially carefully once I turned south off Stillwater Road! Nearly every house was decorated! There were literally hundreds of children out! Parents, lol, some walking with beer bottles, some with tiny ones in strollers, flash lights, reflective tape, and kids running crazy for free candy! One block in particular was really neat as at least 6 of the homes had bonfires going in the driveway, in those big portable burning pits. The adults were all sitting in the driveways with lawn chairs and a cooler, giving out candy. Yards and houses were all decorated with witches, goblins and ghost, that all reflected in the firelight, with no houselights on. Litghted pumpkins lined the driveways. Some of the adults sitting outside were in costumes!
I got to my sisters, and parked between houses so that I didn't block the driveway. It was warm enough that everyone was sitting out side, and the kids just kept coming and coming! I brought over 5 bags of miniature candy bars, and there must have been 20 bags there already, plus two big "candy bags" from Sam's club! It was all put into a six gallon white plastic bucket! By 9 PM it was over, and the sugar crazed kids were all home in the tub, to get to bed and ready for school this morning. Another plus was that 4 of the kids that normally come to my house also came over to my sisters, she babysits for them. I had to rescue one little girl who had so much candy that she wore a hole in the bottom of her plastic candy bag. I had a blue cloth bag on my front seat that I got for nothing somewhere (for carrying groceries). We dumped her candy into it, I wiped her tears, and she was gone in a flash to get more.
A little post script to all this! I was impressed! Most every group of children ( from one or two up to ten) that came up that driveway.... I mean a couple of hundred kids...... all said "Trick or Treat" followed by a loud audible "thank You" as they left to run to the next house! Neat!
Bigtime

Postby Tremors » 01 Nov 2011, 18:27

So you're sayin' there's hope.

:D
Tremors

MN is calling

Postby Bigtime » 01 Nov 2011, 19:39

Come back to your roots...... Halloween is alive and well!
Bigtime

Postby Tremors » 01 Nov 2011, 20:46

ETS date: December 22, 2012. With accumulated days I can use for terminal leave, I'll be going home (to stay) sometime next November. Unfortunately, too late for Halloween. :|
Tremors

Postby Eric N. » 01 Nov 2011, 21:59

You will re-up,ya lifer. LOL
Remember in November!!! obuma has got to go
Eric N.

Postby Tremors » 01 Nov 2011, 22:15

Eric N. wrote:You will re-up,ya lifer. LOL

Oh HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL no!

Although that said, I am doing the "active first" program, which mean I will spend the balance of my commitment not on ready reserve, but in a reserve unit back in MN. But that does mean I can play civilian all but 2 days a month. 8)
Tremors

Postby Shaughn » 03 Nov 2011, 22:23

First time in 20 years that I have not handed out candy. I spent the evening scaring people at the Fright Farm. It was amazing to watch the false bravado disappear as people entered the attraction. The one question that I would like to ask the handful of young hooligans that showed up to cause problems is "Why would you do this at an event sponsored by the Ramsey County Sheriffs Department?"
Shaughn

Re: Nowadays how far do kiddies travel to score Halloween ca

Postby Tremors » 31 Oct 2012, 13:31

Its that time-o-the-year kiddies! Are you ready for the parties; the trick-or-treaters? For the last time I am haunting up my house here in El Paso. It won't be quite as big as I normally go, but it will be close.
Tremors

Postby Bigtime » 23 Nov 2012, 20:50

As long as you were there Tremors.......... I'm sure it was scary!
Bigtime

Postby Tremors » 17 Oct 2013, 21:55

So this year, my friend Eric is helping me haunt up my house. He has a big collection of Halloween swag and because he lives in a townhome these days, he can't decorate his place. Between what he has and what I have, it should look pretty good. Its Eric's goal to make the papers. LOL!

Going to to the original question that started this thread, how far to the kids travel these days? I suspect the answer is not too damn far anymore. Most kids are now under guard of hovering parents and their tolerance for meandering house-to-house and block-to-block at night and in the cold aint what it was when they were kids.
Tremors

PreviousNext

Return to North Saint Paul Community Chat