Fawn Sighting at 1st N. and 19th Ave.

What's going on around town ? Ya got problems ? Come here. Got solutions ? Let's hear em. Please keep topic about North Saint Paul Stuff.

Fawn Sighting at 1st N. and 19th Ave.

Postby Agitator » 14 May 2007, 23:59

The weather is so nice tonight that I thought I would take a walk around NSP before turning in. At the corner of North First St and 19th Avenue a fawn came out from behind some bushes in front of me and walked East through yards up 19th.

There was a street light near by but I could not make out whether the fawn still had its spots. It walked slowly and did not seem afraid. :)
Agitator

Postby Tremors » 15 May 2007, 08:32

Huh....cool. I sure hope its smart enough not to find the nearest car’s grill.

A few years ago I was driving a couple blocks west of Silver Lake (I don't remember which street). It was dark out and I looked over to see this obnoxiously large deer lawn ornament in somebody's front yard. I thought it looked so stupid standing in that tiny yard. About that time was when it turned, leapt over a bush, rounded the corner of the house and bolted!

They sue are making those lawn ornaments realistic these days. :lol:
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude!
Tremors

Postby Agitator » 16 May 2007, 11:01

Tremors wrote:... a couple blocks west of Silver Lake ...

That is the same neighborhood.

I wonder how they get past highway 694. The bridges at Century or HWY 36 do not seem like they would be very inviting to deer.
Agitator

Lawn Ornaments R US

Postby Jane Austen » 16 May 2007, 13:29

Tremors wrote:They sure are making those lawn ornaments realistic these days.
Tremors, you are just lucky the deer didn't end up as a car ornament!
Yes. We. Can.
Jane Austen

Postby Polaralum » 16 May 2007, 16:42

Agitator wrote:
Tremors wrote:... a couple blocks west of Silver Lake ...

That is the same neighborhood.

I wonder how they get past highway 694. The bridges at Century or HWY 36 do not seem like they would be very inviting to deer.

They probably hang out at Joy Park. :wink:
Polaralum

Oh Dear!

Postby Bigtime » 16 May 2007, 23:46

They don't need the bridges! They can jump the fences at the freeway, no problem!
Bigtime

Postby Tremors » 17 May 2007, 08:55

Yeah, it sure would be the same neighborhood Agitator-must be a popular area for your young, hip, urban wildlife. It is a good thing that the one I saw didn’t become a part of my car Jane! Damn cloven hooved-car killers!

You ain’t kidding BT. I was once ridin’ shotgun with a friend of mine heading back to St. Cloud from Hamel. On the onramp to 94 I turned to my right to look out the window and saw a deer running parallel to us, not more than 3 feet from the car. I could have reached out the window (had it been opened) and grabbed it. What a sight!

After about 5 seconds of sprinting next to us, he and his friend running behind him turned and ran towards one of those 10-12 foot tall fences along the highway. Those two white-tailed terrors charged full speed then leapt over the fence, clearing it with a couple of feet to spare! :shock: Damn! That was amazing to see in person.
Tremors

Deer spotting..

Postby lynsdollclothes » 25 May 2007, 09:32

Hey, I am on the South side of 36. At approximately 730 am today, I had a young deer, no spots run thru my front yard. Haven't seen one here, on out block since the 70's. Just was moving not really spooked thru the yards heading toward 120. Oh come back... slowly! :o
And then you grow up and get smarter... maybe.
lynsdollclothes

Just a couple miles from NSP...

Postby Tremors » 22 Jan 2009, 16:02

This year, we've seen quite an explosion of the urban wildlife population. It’s not unusual to pass a group of turkeys meandering their way across the road, holding up traffic, as I'm making my way home. Also, I have some photos I'll post (as soon as I find them) of 3 deer that were wandering around our office park here in Little Canada this October. They were nibbling on the grass and the lawn care signs in the commons area! Lately, it’s not too unusual to see one or two wandering around here; in fact, there was a trophy buck illegally taken about a quarter mile from here. They’re all over! I have had some that were easily within arm's reach of my window!

My friend Jay is renting a house from our company in nearby Shoreview, and let me tell ya, it’s great to play Land Lord!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, the area he lives in is surrounded by lakes and park land as well as tracts of land with mature growth present; his place sits on a more than acre of space with trees, shrubs, and bordered on 2 sides by a pond. So it shouldn't have come as a big surprise that a few days ago while we were BSing, we saw some deer; we had before. However this time there were 13 deer that came wandering into his back yard! :shock: The most I've ever seen anywhere at one time.
Tremors

Postby Tremors » 26 Jan 2009, 16:57

Here are our visitors

Its kinda cool to look out and see these cute little car killers nibbling on the grass.

Tremors

all in the yard of NSP

Postby johnspeaks » 16 Jul 2009, 13:22

i've had deer in my yard, i live next to DQ. deer scared the hell out of me. something you don't expect at night.

i also saw a turkey once. i have bats, moles, mice, raccoons, cats, birds, and rabbits too.
johnspeaks

Re: Fawn Sighting at 1st N. and 19th Ave.

Postby Tremors » 09 Jun 2013, 13:04

Yesterday I took my kids to Joy "paved trials" :roll: Park and my son was riding east of the boat launch, and rolled up within 10' of a Cloven-Hooved Car Killer, scaring Bambi into nearby wood line. When my daughter and I came up, we could see it through the trees near the waterline. I spent many an hour in Joy Park, and this was the 1st time I had ever seen a deer there.
Tremors

Postby Bigtime » 09 Jun 2013, 17:03

:D Back stalking the area AGAIN? If you have never seen a deer in Joy Park....It's probably because you never were in a mode to do so..... with all your rowdy friends!
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. (M West)
Bigtime

Postby Tremors » 25 Jul 2013, 19:52

Bigtime wrote::D Back stalking the area AGAIN? If you have never seen a deer in Joy Park....It's probably because you never were in a mode to do so..... with all your rowdy friends!

So what you saaaaaayin'?

:D
Tremors

Return to North Saint Paul Community Chat