North St Paul needs change

This page is to let it all hang out. complain, moan, praise etc.

North St Paul needs change

Postby Not liking this 1 » 10 Jun 2016, 08:27

What exactly is a 'code' in the City's definition? Why are they made if not ever applied? What does 'working with the homeowner' mean? These are all questions that we are asking on our block. Like the burning hours, size and my all time favorite ones, Noise ordinance is enforced. No it's not! We have complained numerous times over the last 4 years about a vehicle parked in a garage. It belongs to a brother of the owner. When the brother moved out the car stayed. The brother comes there to work on the car and parks it either in the garage and runs and revs it or between the houses. Either place we have to crank the TV up 3x louder than usual so it can be heard. Another neighbor hears it too. His brother needs to take it where he lives or get a storage garage elsewhere. Oh and there is a dark blue car belonging to the owner at that residence that is licensed in Wi and it has been for almost there for the 5 years he has lived there. We thought that is illegal to do. We were always told you have to have it changed to your address in the state you live in as well as your license in 60 days.

Working with the owners is a joke. There is one house on our block, the owner doesn't live and she is divorced from the moron who lives there. We have reported the house and yard as an eyesore, for almost 30 years. The onsite owner lets strange people come and stay there. We never know who lives there. He is also running a business out of that house, car repairs. He always works on them in the street or on his front yard, which he has been repeatedly not to do. He and the 'boarders' drive up the apron in front of another property and into that yard. When he works on the cars in the street, he has been known to leave cars up on jacks for a day or two. He dumps 'chemicals in the street and you can see the street is pretty bad where he constantly works on them. At some point the street will have to be replaced there and we shouldn't have to carry the burden of that. From his house going east, do you see the street shot? There are tracks across the corner lot. Another house , new neighbors are really trying to make their yard nice.There are always and excess of 5 cars parked in the street in front of the problem house. The street sweeper has yet to be able to clean both sides of the street. Every couple weeks we seen a car is gone and we will see him or the rag tagle bunch of people who crash there driving different cars. An Insurance company couldn't possibly keep up on the paperwork for as often as they change cars. We lay odds that most are not insured. Also the daughter has had a broken foot this Spring so she was in a boot on her right foot. She still continued to drive. She has since has surgery on it, needs a scooter used for broken legs etc, but she is still driving with the cast.The onsite owner is on disability and has been for as long as he has lived here, the neighbors all heard it was a 'mental' issue.

Our block is struggling with Immigrants, landlords who don't even live in our City but have rental houses and just flat out slobs. The neighborhood has gone thru many changes in the 40 plus years I have lived here. I am one of two original homeowners on the entire block. We both have been here for 40 plus years, raised our kids here and gone and graduated from District 622 schools.

Our problem is neighbors who just don't give a damn. They know 'Codes' are never applied. Never is a fine applied. If the two of us who care however if we go against a 'Code' we would get the book thrown at us. Yet the 'immigrants' on this block go against the Codes almost hourly. Can't burn except between set hours. They do. Can only burn approved wood, they burn everything and anything. Didn't fit in the barrel, let's burn it. We all get the same bill with the newsletter every month. Sorry to say only the people of this City that give a damn read it.

Don't put out your barrels til 6am the day of pickup. Around here they put them out the day before. Remove them when they are empty, for these people it is usually the day after. Keep barrels not visible to streets, really? Doesn't happen here, ever. The rental property owned by Invitation Homes at 2723, the renters started moving out the 1st week in may. Their barrels were always out the day before, in the street not on the curb. Last week they put them out on Wed for a Fri pickup because of the holiday. Last week was not recycling week but the barrel was put out anyway, it sat there til Tues of this week I believe. This week is recycling and was the over filled barrel put out. Nope. The renter was there last night too, painting. North St Paul really screwed up on allowing houses that weren't able to sell be rented. There are two rental houses on South Ave. One has had numerous fire pits in the back yard, rarely cut and the front is a dump as well. The other house been cited for burning. Have the actual owners on record been notified? I bet they haven't.

We deal with the 'Section 8'ers' from the apts across Century daily too. We know not all Section 8 are bad people but all the ones we see walking down the street are! Young / teenagers looking into cars as they walk by and sometimes even trying the door handles. One car was stolen on this block this Spring. We only leave ours pulled way up to the garage door, locked. There is a crazy lady who the police picked up from here last Summer making herself home in the other neighbor who gives a damn front yard. Well, she is back. She has been searching for her lost cat for well over a month and she is really becoming a nuisance. We have all been questioned by her and told that her cat is not on this block and no one has ever seen it. We have all told her to leave this block or we are going to call the police.

The City is so hell bent on the new streets plan. It is a waste of our tax dollars when the houses and yards are dumps. It is an utter joke! Until the codes that you all write are enforced, anything you do in this City is a waste of our tax dollars. As tax payers we pay all of your wages, from the Mayor on down. There are times when a lot of the residences would like to walk into a City Council meeting and tell you all 'you are all fired!' There is a 'good ole boy club' that a lot of residences know about. You pat my back I'll pat yours. Look around. I have lived in No St Paul or visited here since 1952. My grandparents bought here then, my parents in 1965, two Aunts here and two cousins. We bought here because it once was a nice place to raise your kids. Have any of you driven around and seen how many For Sale signs there are? They are not all senior citizens moving to long term centers. They are people who are tired of the high taxes we pay, the 'working with the home owners' crock! They are tired of making their homes and yards nice and having dumps and rental properties around them. It seems the nicest block in this City of 3.5 square miles is 18th Ave between Helen and Margaret. Those people should be commended for their hard work.

The future of No St Paul as a lot of people see it is a '2nd addition to the Eastside. More and more good long time residents are leaving and what comes into take their place.... Hmongs, yes I said that! They buy nice and within a year on average they destroy the neighborhood. Are we the only people who see this happening?? Nice streets aren't going to make this the friendly good place to raise kids town ever again! It will only become another 'Eastside' and is already on its way to that. We know you can't not sell to people who don't have a clue on home ownership or flat out don't give a damn but if things like Code violations were addressed in a timely matter, people wouldn't want to get out of Dodge!

So to our question on Codes, it should be #1 warning, #2 fine, #3 in front of the City Council to explain themselves and be made an example of. Code problems should not go on for years at any residences and never fixed and kept fixed. This town has become a joke to a lot of the surrounding cities. We were once proud to say we lived in No St Paul... no longer. And that is so sad to say...

No I do not want to be contacted. I speak not only for the neighbors who care on our block and also for all the residents of No St Paul who feel the same. What we want is to see change for the good, not in 5 yrs but start it now. Election time a lot of us will be voting differently. If there are other people in No St Paul who feel this way, please respond. This remark has been email to all of the City Council member, the Mayor and Code enforcers.
Not liking this 1

Re: North St Paul needs change

Postby Not liking this 1 » 20 Jun 2016, 07:09

We finally got answers this past week to the questions we had for all of this to be allowed to go on from the Code Enforcers. Guess our block from one end of the City to the other, has the most complaints per month of any street in No St Paul. So that means the ones of us who care aren't losing our minds! There is a lot of people that the Code Enforcer has on his list and a whole lot are on our short block. Maybe there is a chance to stop all this before it gets worse. :roll:
Not liking this 1

North St Paul Codes

Postby Agitator » 20 Jun 2016, 18:25

Not liking this 1 wrote:We finally got answers this past week to the questions we had for all of this to be allowed to go on from the Code Enforcers. Guess our block from one end of the City to the other, has the most complaints per month of any street in No St Paul. So that means the ones of us who care aren't losing our minds! There is a lot of people that the Code Enforcer has on his list and a whole lot are on our short block. Maybe there is a chance to stop all this before it gets worse. :roll:

Interesting. :o

I looked at the web page for North St Paul code compliance:

http://www.northstpaul.org/index.asp?Ty ... 4AC45C0%7D

I agree with most of the codes but I think there are some that could be questioned as being out of date, too tight, not tight enough, or giving the authorities too much discretion. That might explain why there might be hesitance in some cases to enforce.

I don't know where the codes came from, but I suspect that the current codes were put in place piecemeal in response to individual complaints -- aimed at specific abuses. I would favor that the city codes be reviewed as whole.

One criterion I would have for codes is that when a city deals with rules that apply to an increasingly diverse (economically and culturally) private community it needs to be skillful and sensitive to the possibility of being over burdensome for some individuals, families, or businesses. Otherwise you get tyranny.

Do you know where to find the actual legal codes for NSP? Is it a police function? Who decides what codes to implement and when? And who carries that out?
I'm glad I chose to be notified of new topics. At top of home page: [User Control Panel] [Board Preferences] [Edit post notification options] Choose the 3 options in the second column.
Agitator

Postby Not liking this 1 » 20 Jun 2016, 19:38

The problem is, that there are pages upon pages of codes. Are they applied? In most cases no. Does at least half the City employees know the codes? Most likely from what we have seen, no. There are codes for fences. But who bothers to go get the permit required? Few. It is easier to put up the fence on a weekend when there are no Code enforcers, or anyone else from the City to enforce the code needing a permit. If you report them after the fact, nothing is done, no fine nothing and the person that did it is never even contacted. Digging without calling first to have lines marked. A lot of people don't. Did you or anyone know there is a major fine for that? Is it enforced? I have never seen it. Digging is not only for the person digging safety, but for the other people around. Bonfires burning cardboard, weeds etc started with gasoline. Or in a case I saw, used motor oil that the person was to lazy to dispose of properly, dumped on the fire. There is a dump I believe that takes painted, treated wood. Nope, burn it.
Not liking this 1

Postby Not liking this 1 » 26 Sep 2017, 17:47

Not one thing has changed! We now officially are the Eastside Pt 2.
Not liking this 1

Return to Rants