Wireless connection at NSP Community Center

How is your Internet connection ? Got one ?

Wireless connection at NSP Community Center

Postby StanHilliard » 30 Jul 2005, 17:20

I finally made a wireless connection to the internet and to this SpeakOutNorthStPaul forum from the North Saint Paul (NSP) Community Center (CC).

With me and computers, nothing ever works the first time. I couldn't connect last Tuesday and again this morning. (Saturday)

As it turned out, the problem was not with the wireless signal at the CC. It was the settings of my computer.

I had assumed that just because it worked at Panera and Dunns coffee shops, it should work here at Snacker's Expresso Bar in the CC.

After two failures, I was able to connect. Here are the settings that worked for my laptop with Windows XP.

1. Go to the [Wireless connection network properties] window:

[Start] [Settings] [Control Panel] [Network Connectins (link)] [Wireless Network Connection (link)] [properties (button)] [Wireless Networks (tab)]

(Your computer may vary.)
  2. The network name is shown as NSPCC. Click on it to select it.

Click on the [Wireless Networks] button. (not the tab) In the "Networks to access" section, choose the option: "any available network (accesspoint preferred.)"
  3. Still in the [Wireless connection network properties] window, click the [advanced] tab (not the button): Check "Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the internet."
    Click OK tosave the settings.
StanHilliard
Site Admin

Return to Internet Answers