Ahh...okay, what happened?!

How do you like this site ? Improvements and suggestions are welcome. Complaints are tolerated.

Ahh...okay, what happened?!

Postby Tremors » 03 Mar 2017, 17:11

A while ago I came to the site, and it was offline. Didn't think much of it until I tried again, and again, and again over the course of, oh, I don't know, but a while. Certainly this was down for such a long time, that my antivirus software blocked me due to malicious code being on whatever replaced this site. Only on a whim did I bother to check the site today, and here it is!

I don't get it. Where did it go? And for how long? I haven'[t been on here in a such a LONG time that I deleted the bookmark from my computers at home and work, resigned to the idea SONSP was dead. :shock:
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude!
Tremors

Re: Ahh...okay, what happened?!

Postby StanHilliard » 06 Mar 2017, 01:34

Hi Tremors, the site was just returned to us.

The name speakoutnorthstpaul.com had been taken over by a crooked company in China. They wanted to sell it back for big bucks. I think that what happened was that the site provider whom I paid to renew for three years forgot to renew the name the second year. They told me that it was stolen but I don't think URL registrations can be stolen. Our provider bought the name again when the crooks didn't renew their annual registration.
StanHilliard
Site Admin

Postby Tremors » 06 Mar 2017, 09:10

Well, that makes sense...kinda bogus, but I get how that could happen. This company either themselves or allowed someone else to put malware of some type at this url--my anti-virus went nuts alerting me to it--so with that and the fact the site seemed gone for good, I didn't bother to come back until last week. I did notice a format issue with many of the older posts. Odd characters where various punctuation or emojis were, but no matter.

I know activity slowed down prior to the event, but I bet most of the regulars won't be back, believe as I did, it was dead. I actually know Bigtime, so I'll let him know the site has returned, and there are a couple of Facebook pages that can be leveraged to bring traffic here.

I for one am glad you got it back. Well played Stan.
Tremors

Postby Tremors » 06 Mar 2017, 09:19

Quicks sidebar: Was it really since October 2015?! :shock: Could that be right? Was the last time I was here.
Whoa.
Tremors

Postby StanHilliard » 10 Mar 2017, 00:20

Tremors wrote:...Was it really since October 2015?! :shock: Could that be right?

That is right. But the database still existed on the server. Just the URL didn't connect. The provider did get a temporary URL. It was speakoutnorthstpaul.org or .net. A new person (named "Not liking this") found it in June 2016 an started a rant. Now that we have .com back I hope more people find it. It needs to be publicized.
StanHilliard
Site Admin

Postby Tremors » 10 Mar 2017, 10:17

Funny how that occurred. My question with regard to the database though is why then have certain characters been replaced with gibberish? :? These are mainly certain punctuation marks, which makes reading passages rather difficult. :| I remember several years ago there was a server migration of something that caused the same thing. I know with my old posts, I went back and edited them (or did a copy-n-paste) to fix it. Just curious on that one.

StanHilliard wrote:It needs to be publicized.

Well, I know one other prolific poster from here who is aware. Could spread the word on NSP related Facebook pages perhaps. Whatever happened to the SONSP Facebook page anyway?

Ya know I don't even remember how I found this site to begin with, myself. A Google search for North St. Paul maybe. With all the search engine bots that view the site, I'm surprised it doesn't rate higher in searches.
Tremors

Postby StanHilliard » 10 Mar 2017, 12:37

Tremors wrote:My question with regard to the database though is why then have certain characters been replaced with gibberish? :? These are mainly certain punctuation marks, which makes reading passages rather difficult. :| I remember several years ago there was a server migration of something that caused the same thing. I know with my old posts, I went back and edited them (or did a copy-n-paste) to fix it. Just curious on that one.

I remember when you had that problem. It is not happening to me. I can see all posts correctly, including yours. What equipment are you using & what browser?
StanHilliard
Site Admin

Postby Tremors » 10 Mar 2017, 17:10

At the moment, a government HP computer running Windows 7.
Tremors

Postby StanHilliard » 11 Mar 2017, 11:14

Tremors wrote:Funny how that occurred. My question with regard to the database though is why then have certain characters been replaced with gibberish? :? These are mainly certain punctuation marks, which makes reading passages rather difficult. :| I remember several years ago there was a server migration of something that caused the same thing. I know with my old posts, I went back and edited them (or did a copy-n-paste) to fix it. Just curious on that one.

See if this fixes the problem? twelve years ago
StanHilliard
Site Admin

Return to This Site